Presidential Pathways: George H.W. Bush Library
Following his presidency, George H.W. Bush selected the campus of Texas A&M University to be the home of his presidential library. Although Bush did not have previous connections to College Station or the university, stories say that Michel T. Halbouty approached Bush about the idea shortly after the 1988 election. In 1991, Bush informed the university’s board of regents that he wanted to build his presidential library in College Station.
In addition to the presidential library, the university built a conference center that also houses an apartment for the Bushes to use when visiting and a building for the newly established George Bush School of Government and Public Service. The presidential library and museum was dedicated on Nov. 6, 1997. Following an overhaul of the permanent exhibits, the library was re-dedicated on Nov. 10, 2007.
The main entrance.
“The Day the Wall Came Down: A Monument to Freedom” by Veryl Goodnight celebrates the fall of the Berlin Wall and is made with pieces of the wall.
“Duty, Honor, Country” exhibit with restored 1944 TBM Avenger, which is the type of plane Bush flew during World War II in the U.S. Navy.
“The Congressman from Texas” exhibit features a 30-foot tall replica of the Capitol dome and commemorates Bush’s four year’s in the U.S. House of Representatives.
“Working for Peace” exhibit details Bush’s two years as ambassador to the United Nations.
“The Challenge of the Unknown” exhibit depicts Bush’s 14 months as the chief of the U.S. Liaison Office in the People’s Republic of China from 1974-75.
“Journey to the Presidency” exhibit details Bush’s eight years as vice-president en route to the becoming president in 1989.
“The President and Mrs. Bush Request” exhibit displays a gown and tuxedo from a state dinner.
“Camp David” exhibit features the Laurel Office where Bush made several important decisions.
“Age of Freedom” exhibit features a 12-foot tall section of the Berlin Wall.